Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Fighter Babe Stephanie Eggink Fights for the Invicta FC Strawweight Title this Saturday

Fighter babe Stephanie "Snowflake" Eggink (4-1) steps back into the cage this Saturday for Invicta FC 8 and the strawweight title at the Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, Missouri. We recently caught up with Stephanie prior to her big title fight this Saturday for the interview below to learn a little more about her.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I started training MMA in 2009, and started fighting in 2010. Prior to then I was strictly boxing. I was on the USA boxing team in 2007, then turned pro in 2009, around the same time I started training MMA.

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I currently train out of Next Edge Academy in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. A training week for me depends on my work schedule. I am a paramedic and work 3 days on and 3 off. So the days I don’t work I’m getting 2-3 sessions in a day, the days I do work I’m getting one in the morning before work. My schedule is crazy but it’s worth it.

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you're fighting and where?

-I am fighting a girl from Finland, I would tell you her name (Katja Kankaanpaa 9-1-1) but I promise I would spell it wrong. The fight will be in Kansas City and is for a vacant 115 lb belt.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-My best experience was fighting for the XFC title. I was ready to go all 5 rounds but I only had to go one. I was more ready and more confident for that fight than I ever have been before. I look back to that fight anytime I doubt myself.

-My worst experience would be when I got knocked out. Enough said.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-Train because you love the sport, not because you want fame or attention. Don’t get into this sport because you want to pose in a sports bra, PLEASE! I see a trend happening that I despise, and I hope it stops before it ruins the sport.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My family. My parents are my biggest support system. They have never pushed me to fight but have always been my biggest fans. They have also instilled in me the desire to have a career outside of fighting, to always have a plan B. I thank them for that, even though I thought it was a stupid idea up until about 2 years ago, they were right.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-My favorite fighter of all time is Lucia Rijker. She doesn’t fight MMA, she was a boxer, but she was a beast. Boxing is my first love so she takes the prize for my favorite fighter.

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting?

-I don’t have too much free time during camps, but outside of that I am a big outdoors person. I am from Washington State so I enjoy things like hiking, rock climbing, snowboarding, stuff like that. I am also a big nerd, I love to read. Historical nonfiction is my genre of choice. Most people would find it boring but I love it.

For those who will inquire we have a couple questions for the male readership as well.

What do you look for in a guy?

-Somebody who understands the life of a fighter, who won’t get mad that you’re in the gym late or have different priorities than non-fighters.

What are your turn-ons?

-Drive, determination and never settling for mediocrity.

What are your turnoffs?

-Laziness and egotism.

What would you say is your best feature?

-I have strong legs, so I would say my legs.

Lastly before we let you go we would love to hear about your future plans and let you send some shout outs.

Any future plans or dreams?

-I am a paramedic now but I would love to be a flight medic one day. I think being in a helicopter while saving a life would be awesome. I also want to be the best 115 lb fighter in the world. Both of these dreams are feasible within 5 years for me.

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-CNP Professional Supplements, Sportsfood Technologies, Amber Sports Gear and Teaza Energy by Trim Nutrition. Thank you to my manager Anthony Hopkins, my friend Linda Kriner and my team at Next Edge Academy.

Thank you very much for your time Stephanie and good luck on fight night! Click here to purchase tickets to Stephanie’s fight or tune into Fight Pass to watch the live stream. Send your shout outs to Stephanie on Facebook and Twitter!

Posted on September 3, 2014 by www.babesofmma.com

1 comment:

  1. Katja Kankaanpaa defeated Stephanie Eggink via submission (d’arce choke) at 2:03 of round five.

    ReplyDelete