Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Babes of MMA Sponsored Fighter Angela Jennings Returns to the Cage this Saturday

Fighter babe Angela Jennings (1-3) returns to the cage this Saturday for Donofrio MMA/Impact Fight League 58: Brawl in the Fall at the Fillmore Theatre in Detroit, Michigan seeking the Women’s 125 lb title. We recently caught up with Angela prior to her big title fight this Saturday for the interview below to learn a little more about her.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I have been an athlete all my life, whether I was playing basketball, volleyball, track, or power lifting. I was always a daddy’s girl and watching UFC on TV, then one day I went and watched a MMA show live, and at that moment I knew and I said to myself, “I have to do this”.

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I currently train out of Flint, Michigan with Ultimate Fighting Academy (UFA) and my coach is Andre Garcia. I am usually in the gym 5-6 days a week, sometimes twice a day depending on my training camps and upcoming fights.

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you're fighting and where?

-I am fighting November 2nd at the Fillmore in Detroit, Michigan. I will be fighting Katelyn Dykas for the 125 lb title belt for Motor City’s premier mixed-martial-arts promotional company, Donofrio MMA and the Impact Fight League.

What has been your best experience as a fighter so far?

-My best experience as a fighter would have to be my cage debut in May of 2013. Although I had a late notice for the fight (24hours) and it was against a very tough opponent, I didn’t come out with the win but I learned a lot and had a great experience and really learned what I am capable of as a Mixed Martial Artist.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-My advice to other women who want to start MMA would be, this sport is 90% mental, and if you are not mentally strong you won’t last. Fighting in MMA is not a part-time job, it’s FULL-TIME. But on the other hand, I encourage woman to get involved in MMA. A lot of women don’t realize that if you train MMA it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to get in a cage and fight! I love to see woman do it for fitness along with self-defense and a hobby. It teaches you great discipline and life lessons.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My biggest inspiration in MMA and 100% in my life would have to be God. But one of my other inspirations would have to be my childhood hero Mr. Schwarzenegger.

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting?

-In my free time as a fighter I love to nap! At least that is when I get free time (LOL). But other than that I enjoy singing, and music. It has always been a passion of mine. I also enjoy the lake life. I love anything to do with water! I grew up on a lake so whether it’s wakeboarding or sunbathing I’m in love. Besides that I am also a BIG movie buff, love going to and watching movies.

For those who will inquire we have a couple questions for the male readership as well.

Are you single?

-Yes. I am single, but am I really available?

What do you look for in a guy?

-What do I look for in a guy? Well I would have to say I love a guy with confidence, YET humble. I also kind of have a thing for guys with a nerdy side.

What are your turn-ons?

-I love a guy with a great smile, and pure eyes.

What are your turnoffs?

-Haha, guys that…, “TRAIN UFC BRO!” Smoking is definitely a turnoff! It’s like kissing an ashtray!

What would you say is your best feature?

-Physically? Well that’s a tough one, but over-all feature, I would like to think my honesty. I am a very honest person. I was brought up to be truthful, whether it’s my family, friends or significant other.

Lastly before we let you go we would love to hear about your future plans and let you send some shout outs.

Any future plans or dreams?

-As of now, I am focusing on my MMA career and I plan on taking that somewhere and eventually going pro. But, in the meantime I have my associate’s degree in basic sciences and may one day pursue a career in the Air Force.

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-I would like to thank my coach Andre Garcia for taking me on as a student, coaching, training me and being by my side every step of the way. I of course have to thank my family for ALWAYS supporting me in everything thing I do including being very helpful, and compassionate in my MMA career. Also, my dad. He has always been my biggest fan and supporter, raising me to be the athlete I am today. Lastly I would love to thank my sponsors: Teaser's of Flint, Michigan for all their support, along with Bull Terriers of Michigan and last BUT certainly NOT least, Babes of MMA!

Thank you very much for your time Angela, glad to have you on the Babes of MMA team and good luck on fight night! Click here to purchase tickets to Angela’s fight and send your shout outs to her on FacebookInstagram and Twitter!

1 comment:

  1. Katelyn Dykas defeated Angela Jennings via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:55 of round one.

    ReplyDelete