Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Fighter Babe Amberlynn Orr Returns to the Cage this Saturday

Fighter babe Amberlynn Orr (5-1) steps back in the cage this Saturday for a flyweight title fight against Miki Rogers (3-0) at V3Fights in Memphis, Tennessee at Minglewood Hall. We recently caught up with Amberlynn prior to her big fight for the interview below.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I was really just looking for a better workout, something to keep me active and more physical since I was no longer involved in rugby. A friend of mine, at the time, told me about Bang Gym so I decided to try it out and fell in love! December 3, 2010 was the day I was hooked!

Where are you currently training, and what’s a typical training week like for you?

-From day one I have always trained with Fishers Bang Gym in Horn Lake, Mississippi. A top level gym with a lot of great talent! I don’t care to cross train with any other gyms at this time because I’m still learning new things each day and have a very strong loyal relationship to my gym and team! Although I just recently came back from a MMA fighters training camp in Dallas, Texas working with the RCJ Machado Group, that’s the only other gym I’ve ever been to. Our gym is also an affiliate of RCJ Machado (Carlos Machado)!

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you’re fighting and where?

-With a record of 5-1 I will be fighting and undefeated opponent Miki Rogers from Alan Belcher’s MMA on April 6th for my first title at 125 lbs! I’m very excited for this fight! Especially for it being my first championship fight and it will be a televised event! I’m ready to put on a show for the fans and give it everything I got! I’m a fighter for a reason and it’s time to shine!

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-This is such a hard question to answer! I’d have to say it’s all one thing actually. Not sure if you would call it an experience but it’s kind of a love hate relationship, cutting weight. The more and more I do it the easier it gets in a sense. It also helps me mentally and I use it to my advantage. Once I get in that mode, I know I’ve got a goal to accomplish, with a deadline, its set in my head what I’ve got to do. All the will power and self control it takes do so, that helps me in my training which ultimately helps me in my fights. Knowing I can accomplish something that takes so much effort and hard work!

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-Don’t let anyone stop you from doing what you want to do!! Nothing is unrealistic as long as you believe in yourself! Strive for greatness!

What are some of the hurdles that you think Women in MMA need to overcome before Women’s MMA will be considered a top level sport like Men’s MMA is today?

-I believe that it’s already unraveling now. It’s just a matter of time before it will be accepted. The generation we live in now is growing into the MMA world, starting young with Karate, Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, boys and girls. So I think once our generation gets older it will all be viewed the same.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My team, gym, family and supporters all push me and help me strive to become better as a person and martial artist. All my kids in Karate, who look up to me and help me, they teach me in so many ways each day and they are all my inspirations!

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-Fav MMA fighters, hmmm. Another tough question! Lol. Of course the typical Ronda Rousey and everything she’s done for the WMMA community. Thomas “The Die Hard Kidd” Vasquez at 135 lbs. He’s an up and coming pro fighter everyone should keep their eye out for! You’ll be seeing a lot of him in the near future. Everyone at my gym, no matter your color, race, gender, I respect everyone who steps in that cage and dedicates themselves to what they love!

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting?

-I’m such a clean freak it’s unbelievable! And I love to cook! While I’m dieting for my fights, I’m constantly looking up new recipes and dishes to make as soon as I can eat again! Haha. I know I know what a dork! But I’m an independent fighting, cooking, cleaning female who can make the best meal or sammich you could ask for! ;) And really just anything I can do to relax considering I work at a police department on a full time schedule working and training. Not much time for anything else.

Any future plans or dreams?

-I’m currently working at a police station right now as a dispatcher just waiting until the time comes that I can go to the academy to become an officer! Aside from my MMA career I’ve always believed in having a backup plan and I think the two go hand in hand to a certain extent.

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-Gotta stay reppin Fishers Bang Gym, Team Torment, Martial Arts Life Apparel, RCJ Machado Jiu-Jitsu and Rupert Yen Photography. All these people support me to the fullest and I couldn’t appreciate it enough!

Thank you for your time and good luck on fight night Amberlynn! For more on Amberlynn or to send her a shout out please visit her fan page on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Flyweight – Amberlynn Orr defeated Miki Rogers via KO in round #2 (1:21)

    (ORR IS THE NEW WOMEN’S FLYWEIGHT CHAMPION)

    ReplyDelete