Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fighter Babe Bethany Marshall Returns to the Cage on Saturday

Fighter babe Bethany Marshall (4-0) returns to the cage on Saturday to take on Barb Honchak (5-2) at Invicta FC 2 in Kansas City, KS. We recently caught up with Bethany for the interview below as she prepares for her next battle in the cage this weekend.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I started training Muay Thai in 2004. My cousin Sarah told me about this gym that offered Muay Thai classes and asked me to go with her. I was looking for something to keep me active and in shape, then fell in love with it. I started training submission grappling about a year later, and had my first MMA fight in 2006. Haven't looked back since!

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I train with Modern American MMA in Yorktown VA (or the MAMMA's Boys). I train twice a day Monday thru Friday and Sunday mornings. I alternate running and swimming every day. I also do Yoga as often as I can fit it in.

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you're fighting and where?

-I am fighting Barb Honchak on July 28th for Invicta Fighting Championships at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, KS. It will be streaming live online for free! http://invictafc.com/.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-Best: Last week a mom at my gym said that her daughter has an autographed photo of me hanging up by her dresser, and she always talks about how much she wants to be like me. It was very humbling.

-Worst: Training hard for a fight for 11 weeks and having it cancelled the day before weigh-ins.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-Go for it! Work hard. Find a gym and a coach who has your best interest in mind.

What are some of the hurdles that you think Women in MMA need to overcome before Women's MMA will be considered a top level sport like Men's MMA is today?

-Exposure is the main thing. I love everything Invicta is doing to help raise awareness and the demand for Women's MMA. I'm proud to play a part, and I wish them great success!

When do you think we will see women divisions in the UFC?

-It's only a matter of time. Thanks to the hard work and efforts of many fighters, Women's MMA is quickly gaining momentum and popularity.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My family.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-Ronda Rousey, Tara LaRosa, Miesha Tate, Cris Cyborg, Alexis Davis.....the list goes on!

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting?

-Yoga, reading, gardening, cooking and hanging out with friends, family and my dogs.

Of course we have a few questions for the male readership as well.

Are you single?

-No, very happy in my relationship :)

What do you look for in a guy?

-Good Heart, kind, and intelligent.

What are your turn-ons?

-I like a nice back and smile.

What are your turnoffs?

-Smoking and arrogance.

Any future plans or dreams?

-I have so many! I plan to fight for as long as possible. I'm currently writing a book on WMMA which has been picked up by a NY Publisher, due to be released in 2013. I'd also love to own an MMA gym in the future.

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-Yes! My team at Modern American MMA, my coaches and team are seriously awesome! My sponsors: Polonti Watches, VIIAD Jewelry, Get Some XTreme Wear, Brawl Base, Fight Chix, SplitLip Fight Wear, Klench Custom MouthGuards. Thanks for their generous support!

Thank you for your time and good luck on fight night Bethany! For the latest on Bethany please visit her website, Facebook and Twitter pages.

1 comment:

  1. Barb Honchak def. Bethany Marshall via TKO (punches) at 1:22 of round two.

    ReplyDelete