Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Catching up with Fighter Babe Nicdali "The Night Queen" Rivera-Calanoc

A little over a week ago we had the honor of sponsoring and hangin with fighter babe Nicdali "The Night Queen" Rivera-Calanoc and her team here in the Chicagoland area.  After a crazy weekend from the heated weigh-ins, the fights and chillen in Chicago we caught up Nicdali for her first hand impressions.  For pictures from this weekend check out our Facebook albums XFO 39 Weigh-ins, XFO 39 Album 1, XFO 39 Album 2 and Team Calanoc in Chicago.  To see the epic stare down with Nicdali and Felice check out this video here.  Third picture above credited to Jeremy Lin of America's Angels.  Pictures four and five credited to Jeff Pape of http://www.wrestlinggear.com/.

The weigh in between you and Felice Herrig was epic with many calling this the best and hottest stare down in MMA history. What were you thinking at that moment?

-I actually thought about kissing her on the cheek for a brief moment because I had seen a Japanese MMA fighter do it once but decided against it because he got KO'd lol and I was thinking about how bad I wanted to beat her up.

If the fight happened all over again now what would you do differently?

-There are a lot of things I would do differently but the biggest thing for me is two things that stick out in my head the most!  Number one, I would listen to my corner and do exactly what they told me to do.  Number two, I would pull the trigger on the things I wanted to do instead of thinking about them.  I would just do it:)

It was a hard fought battle; will there be a rematch between the two of you?

-There is not a fight I want more than to fight Felice, nothing personal I just didn't perform to my potential and it pisses me off more than anything that I didn't do what needed to be done.  Felice has said that she will give me a rematch but I want to fight like 2 to 3 more times and win then I want a rematch.  I intend on avenging all my losses eventually.

This fight and stare down alone brought in many new fans to women's mixed martial arts.  What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-If you have a dream or goal, go after it.  Do whatever it takes to make it happen and surround yourself with people that you look up to in whatever your goals are.  Be persistant and never give up!

What did you think about Chicago?

-Chicago is a nice urban city but the weather is awful.

What was your favorite thing, place or memory about Chicago?

-I really liked the movie theater, it was 3D, you could order drinks and food and have pillows and blankets, super ballin!  I also really liked my hairstylist at Spa Blue, she was sooooo nice:)

What's next for "The Night Queen?"

-The Night Queen will be fighting in Puerto Rico in August for MaxxFC.  They have an event June 18th so they will announce the full fight card after this event:)  MaxxFC and Puerto Rico is like a second home to me, I Love it there so much!!!

Any special shout outs you would like to give?

-I would like to thank Miesha Tate for helping me prepare for the fight also Shayna Baszler, Nina, Jessica Phillipus and Laura Marcusse.  Tussle Fight Gear, you have done a lot for me and I appreciate it!  Art painting aka Tammy thank you so much!  Owasso Auto care thanks for sponsoring me and believing in me.  Babes of MMA for sponsoring me and showing me around Chicago!  Martina Auaman for all the love and guidance given to me by her.  Last but Not least Travis Calanoc my husband, fellow training partner and coach and TEAM UNDERDAWGS!  Congrats to Charlie Mills for winning the 8 man 145 ammy tourney, what's up TuffNuff he wants to fight for yall!!!!!

I personally would like to say thank you to Nicdali for a memorable weekend and super proud of you.  I can't wait until your next fight!!  Great spending time with you, Travis and Miesha!  Can't wait to see all you again!

For more in Nicdali "The Night Queen" Rivera-Calanoc be sure to say hello on Twitter @Nicdali and her Facebook fan page.

No comments:

Post a Comment