Monday, April 25, 2011

Say Hello to Fighter Kate Aroa

Say hello to fighter babe Kate Aroa who comes to us all the way from New Zealand.  Kate is currently ranked 16th in the Women's MMA world rankings under the featherweight division.  Check out our interview with Kate below.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I started BJJ first about 6 years ago then started MMA training about 3 years ago. I started attending a few MMA classes then got hooked.  I would never of thought I would fight MMA though.

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-Currently I train under Roney 'Kabecao' Da Silva who is under Jr Macgyver/Crolin Gracie Team New Zealand.  We are training out of Tauranga, New Zealand.  I train 6 days a week, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Monday, Wednesday and Friday, MMA Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, Muay Thai Monday to Wednesday.  Leading up to a fight I train Muay Thai 6 days a week as well.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-The best experience I have had as a fighter was my fight against Angie Parr in Sydney last year as it was the first professional women's MMA fight in Australasia.  Also because Angie is a World Champion at Muay Thai so I was very happy that I won my fight because I specialize in BJJ not Muay Thai.

My Worst experience would have been when I competed at the 2010 World Championship in LA I had my opponent in a arm lock but she wouldn't tap even when her arm clicked then she ended up winning on points which took her through to the semi-finals, I was gutted I didn't submit her.

What are some of the hurdles that you think women in MMA need to overcome before women's MMA will be considered a top level sports like men's MMA is today?

-I'm not sure the only thing I can think of is we need more women training.  I struggle to get opponents to fight me because not many women get into it but it is growing fast.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My inspiration would be my Fiancee/BJJ/MMA teacher Roney. If I hadn't met him I would never of learnt BJJ/MMA. Since then my life has totally changed for the better, I was a bit lost in my life, didn't have any goals for my future and was overweight, now I have direction, I am very determined woman that wants to show my skills all around the world.  Thanks to Roney Da Silva and my sponsor New Zealand MMA.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-Rickson Gracie

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting? Any hobbies?

-I love spending time with family, they are my life because I work full time and train everyday which takes up a lot of my time.  I love the ocean and have been going sailing with my family since I was very young.

Any future plans or dreams?

-My Dream is to fight on Strikeforce one day or at a professional event in America.  I want to go overseas to fight and compete to test my skills against world class fighters.  I plan to compete at the World Champs in BJJ again this year in LA.

Thank you for your time Kate and we hope all your dreams come true.  For more on Kate check out her team at Jr. Macgyver Crolin Gracie New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment