Thursday, February 5, 2015

Fighter Babe Malinda Diffee Returns to the Cage this Saturday

Fighter babe Malinda “The Diva” Diffee returns to the cage this Saturday night for Cage Wars 29 at the Washington Avenue Armory in Albany, New York. Fighting out of Full Force Gym in Granville, New York we recently caught up with Malinda prior to her big fight this Saturday for the interview below to learn a little more about her.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I got involved in MMA about 5 year ago. I originally started out with just kickboxing. I was going through a very difficult time in my life and this was my therapy and helped me get through it. Over the past two years I decided I wanted to start training to compete and get in the cage.

-Initially I started working diligently with my boxing coach Tony Keough. Over the past 6 months I have been learning Jiu-jitsu with my coach Jay Ingleston. I've also worked with Randy and Shane Willette, Joseph Lynch, Dana Sedelnick , Justin Flewing and Tyrone Jackson to name a few.

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I fight out of Full Force Gym in Granville, NY owned by Jon Spor. My fight team is called War Industries MMA coached by Jay Ingleston and Tony Ke.

-As a female and being smaller in size it can be difficult to find an opponent. It's a fight to get a fight! Lol. My typical training week is 2-3 nights a week, 2-3 hrs a night in my downtime. This consists of weights, cardio, boxing, sparring, mitts, jiu-jitsu, etc. When I have an upcoming fight then I start training 5-6 days a week preferably 7 weeks out from a fight.

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you're fighting and where?

-My upcoming fight is scheduled for this Saturday, February 7th in Albany, NY at the Armory for Cage Wars 29. The opponent that was originally matched up with me had to back out due to an injury, cracked ribs. MMA is not for the weak! Lol. I was lucky enough that Cage Wars found me another opponent in Marcia Gates so I could still remain on the fight card.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-My best experience as a fighter has been the people I have met in the fight community. We are all like family and really are sweet, kind people, even though we can kick butt in the cage! Lol. I also enjoy this sport because it's about pushing yourself beyond anything you ever thought you were capable of. It makes you stronger mind, body and spirit.

-My worst experience has just been waiting for fights and when other fighters back out on you it can get frustrating.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-The advice I would offer to other females who might be interested in MMA is GO FOR IT! Don't worry about what people might think because of the sport you choose. If you have a passion for it and it interests you give it a try. I'm such a different person than I was 5 years ago. Stronger, healthier, just better all around and I owe that to this sport and my coaches.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My inspirations are first and foremost my parents and my two kids. My daughter Briana Prieur and son Derek Prieur have been my rock, inspiration and motivation since day one.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-A few of my favorite MMA fighters are Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate and Anderson Silva.

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting?

-I don't get much free time between working as a single parent, business owner by day and training at night. When I do get any free time I enjoy spending it with my kids and their friends. Family in general is important to me. I also love to write and sing anything with music and arts inspires me.

For those who will inquire we have a couple questions for the male readership as well.

What do you look for in a guy?

-If I was single I would be looking for a guy with a positive attitude, a gentleman, charm, sweetness, romance gets me and some muscles is a plus ;)

What are your turnoffs?

-Anyone who is negative, arrogant or has attitude, controlling and anyone who talks down or badly about others would be someone I would not want to be with.

Lastly before we let you go we would love to hear about your future plans and let you send some shout outs.

Any future plans or dreams?

-Future plans and dreams would obviously be to get a belt or two. I also am planning on competing in women's fitness competitions and would like to get some awards in that as well. I love music and would like to write and record a song possibly, someday. Yes I am a dreamer and that's ok! Lol :) I would also like to find the time to donate to Domestic Violence Awareness.

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-I want to give a shout out to my kids Derek and Briana Prieur, they’re my everything. My parents Clark and Anna Diffee, I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for their love and guidance growing up in a family of 8 siblings. My fight family, Jay Ingleston, Jon Spor, Tony Keough, Dana Sedelnick, Joseph Lynch, Shane Willette, Britney "Hellcat" Hobbs, Justin Flewelling and all my Full Force/War Industries MMA  teammates. Also Cage Wars for the opportunities.

Thank you very much for your time Malinda and good luck on fight night! Click here to purchase tickets to Malinda’s fight and send your shout outs to her on Facebook and Instagram!

Posted on February 5, 2015 by www.babesofmma.com

1 comment:

  1. Marcia Gates defeated Malinda Diffee via a first round submission (guillotine).

    ReplyDelete