Thursday, October 30, 2014

Fighter Babe Kelly McGill Makes Her Invicta FC Debut this Saturday

Fighter babe “Killer” Kelly McGill (1-0) returns to the cage this Saturday for Invicta FC 9 at the RiverCenter in Davenport, Iowa. Fighting out of Modesto, California we recently caught up with Kelly prior to her Invicta FC debut this Saturday for the interview below to learn a little more about her.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I got into MMA by being too competitive. Haha. I was 14 years old when I saw my dad watching a WEC event. I was very interested and taken by the sport at first glance. I jokingly said to my dad, "I could do that!" and he quickly said "Yeah right." I was a total girlie girl at the time so I understood why he said that, but saying 'yeah right' really made me want to at least try it to prove him wrong. Haha. After begging for about a year, daily, my parents finally signed me up for my first jiu-jitsu class and my love for the sport blossomed from there.

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I train at Oakdale and Sonora MMA. A typical week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I go to Full Force Personal Training in Modesto for an hour in the morning and work one on one with my personal trainer Mike Sousa. After that I go to school and what not, and then I go to Oakdale MMA and train for about three hours at night. Tuesday and Thursday are a little different. I go to Oakdale MMA in the morning to do an hour of kickboxing and then I go to school and stuff. Finally I go to Sonora MMA and train for a very long time up there in the high elevation. When I have a fight lined up I do a bunch of other exercises between school and work outs, this is just a brief summary of a typical week.

How did you get the fight nickname “Killer”?

-I don't know or remember exactly how I got my fight name "Killer." I think somebody called me it one time and I liked how well it flowed with my name so I just stuck with it.

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you're fighting and where?

-I am fighting Saturday November 1st for Invicta FC in Davenport, Iowa against Maegan Goodwin.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-Signing with Invicta FC is definitely the best experience I've had as a fighter. Fighting for Invicta FC is a dream come true and I am so blessed to be given this opportunity.

-My worst experience as a fighter was having to cut ten pounds in 24 hours for a previous fight because my original opponent pulled out and the only replacement they could fight was a weight class below. That day was so torturous. Haha.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-Never give up. Times are going to get hard, some practices are going to suck, you are going to lose, you are going to get beat up, you are going to be in a lot of pain, and you are going to want to give up. My advice is don't give up. Yes, all those things I listed suck but nothing compares to the feeling you get when you win a fight, make weight, get a move right at practice, or have little kids tell you they look up to you. You have to work hard for what you want, and if you give up you will never get what you wanted. With great sacrifice comes great reward, you just have to keep on pushing forward.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-Cris Cyborg, Julie Kedzie, and Tecia Torres are the main MMA fighters I look up to. I admire the way all three of those ladies handled their careers and remain so down to earth. My two true inspirations in life are my parents. They are both so hard working and amazing human beings that I truly do look up to and admire them both deeply.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-Cris Cyborg, Julie Kedzie, Tecia Torres, GSP, Rolando Velasco, and Cat Zingano.

Lastly before we let you go we would love to hear about your future plans and let you send some shout outs.

Any future plans or dreams?

-I hope to go through the bantamweight division and become the Invicta FC champion. I hope to be #1 in the world someday. Most of all, I hope to leave a positive impact on the sport and for the next generation of fighters.

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-Thank you to everybody at Oakdale, Sonora, and Merced MMA. Thank you Full Force Personal Training in Modesto. Thank you to Dragon Do Fight Gear and Modules Technology Inc. Thank you to my parents and boyfriend Rolando Velasco for everything. Thank you to Shannon Knapp, Julie Kedzie, and Invicta FC. Thank you Babes of MMA for allowing me this opportunity.

Thank you very much for your time Kelly and good luck on fight night! Click here to purchase tickets to Kelly’s fight or tune into UFC Fight Pass to watch the live stream. Send your shout outs to Kelly on Facebook and Twitter!

Posted on October 30, 2014 by www.babesofmma.com

1 comment:

  1. Kelly McGill defeated Maegan Goodwin via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28).

    ReplyDelete