Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Fighter Babe Joanne Calderwood Returns to the Cage this Saturday

Fighter babe Joanne Calderwood (4-0) returns to the cage this Saturday to battle it out with Livia Von Plettenberg (1-0) at Invicta FC4 in Kansas City, KS and streaming ppv live on www.invictafc.com starting at 6 PM central. Joanne is a 19-2 Muay Thai National, European and World Champion and undefeated MMA fighter fighting out of Kilmarnock, Scotland. We recently caught up with Joanne for the interview below while she prepares for her upcoming fight.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-When my parents were attacked 14 years ago I relocated to Asia where l was mentored by Henri Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul in how to fight evil. When learning about the plan to wipe out evil in Scotland by Ducard, I prevented this plan from getting any further and headed back to my home. Back in my original surroundings, I adopted the image of a bat to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Batman'. (Lol, love the reply Joanne or should we call you Batman or Batgirl?)

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I train and work at the Griphouse Gym in Scotland which is home to the Dinky Ninja Fight Team, one of Europe’s best MMA teams. My usual week will be training all aspects of MMA, with a wee day off and one half day. We change our schedule up for each fight camp to keep us on our toes.

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you're fighting and where?

-My upcoming fight is at Invicta 4 in Kansas City. This will be my second fight with the promotion and it is against Austrian Livia Von Plettenberg.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-The best experience is that I get to do what I love for a job while getting to go to different countries. The worst is only the dieting part and I think if you ask any fighter that's all we have to complain about.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-I'd give them any advice they needed, you can tweet me @badmofo_jojo and I’d be happy to answer any questions. If they are already thinking about it though I'd just encourage them to go and try out a gym in their local area and find one that they are comfortable with.

What are some of the hurdles that you think Women in MMA need to overcome before Women's MMA will be considered a top level sport like Men's MMA is today?

-I don't think we need to overcome anything. I think if we just keep doing what we are doing the sport will keep growing and although it won’t ever catch up with men's MMA it can definitely be respected enough to be considered legitimate and not a bit dime kind if side show.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-All the guys that are in the gym the day after they fight and train even when they don't have a fight inspire me. I guess people with drive and determination to succeed and get better as fighters and as people.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-Anderson Silva and GSP. I love how calm they are even though there must be so much pressure at being at the top but they never show it. Their level of consistency is exceptional.

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting?

-Don't really have spare time, as I like to stay active. I go to Nandos every Friday night after sparring with all the team that's a bit of a hobbie, lol.

Of course we have a few questions for the male readership as well.

Are you single?

-In a serious relationship with training.

What do you look for in a guy?

-Healthy and looking after their body is a must.

What are your turn-ons?

-Odd socks.

What are your turnoffs?

-A matching pair of socks.

What would you say is your best feature?

-That I'm cheeky.

Any future plans or dreams?

-To fight and beat the best!

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-Thanks for the interview. Shout out to my sponsors that are with me in my journey, The Griphouse Gym, Fight Camp, Stark, Devils Own, Funkygums.com, SAS nutrition and Physio Effect. And to all my teammates who will be probably already be on this page perving at all the good looking girls.....CAUGHT! ;op

Thank you very much for your time Joanne and best of luck on Saturday and continued success with your career. For more on Joanne like her Facebook page and follow her on Twitter @badmofo_jojo.

1 comment:

  1. Joanne defeated Livia via unanimous decision 30-27 and 30-26.

    ReplyDelete