Thursday, July 28, 2011

Meet MMA Babe Breanna Armstrong

We recently connected with MMA babe Breanna Armstrong. Breanna is a 22 year old combat sports journalist and business owner who calls San Clemente, CA and Kailua-Kona, HI home. She has been published in Ultimate MMA Magazine, UltimateMMAMag.com, The Press-Enterprise Newspaper, MMASpot.net, Muay Thaimes Magazine, MuayThaimes.com, El Tiempo Magazine and KoastKombat.com. Keep reading to find out more about this MMA babe.

How did you get into the world of MMA?

-I went to college in California’s Inland Empire. In the “IE” there is a Martial Arts gym on every corner and everyone is either training to be a professional fighter or wants to be one. I saw that our newspaper did not cover this sport, so one day in the middle of my cheerleading season, I started covering local fighters and eventually I became a freelance writer for The Press-Enterprise Newspaper. I made Combat Sports journalism my full-time job while going to College and being on my University’s cheerleading team. From there I broke into print media and was able to intern for the magazine that I now contribute to: Ultimate MMA Magazine.

What has been your favorite interview so far?

-I have a few favorites! My first big interview was with Bas Rutten back in 2009, for Ultimate MMA Magazine. I was so nervous and the shoot was at his house. When my photographer and I arrived, Bas and his wife made us feel at home. It was a great interview and I was laughing for a majority of it. Another favorite was my interview with Vitor Belfort last year for MMASpot.net. He was just inspiring and it was the day after Anderson Silva defeated Demian Maia at UFC 112. There was a lot of hype that came with that article and it is still one of my favorites to this day.

Tell us about Koast Kombat and how it was started.

-I grew up in Orange County, Calif., and in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. I have a huge heart for Hawaii MMA, so I started Koast Kombat. My company’s goal is to link the Hawaii MMA scene with the Mainland MMA scene. I created a fighter exchange program that will allow fighters from Hawaii to train and fight on the Mainland to further their careers. Our program offers the same for fighters on the Mainland as well. Koast Kombat manages fighters, models, ring announcers, hosts and commentators. We are currently sponsoring Chris Cisneros, who is from Hilo, and he is one of the best fighters in Hawaii right now. KoastKombat.com is also a news site that covers Muay Thai and other Industry events. We just launched in February and we already have received so much support already.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-One of my favorite MMA fighters would have to be Jon “Bones” Jones. He is an absolute inspiration in our industry and is a positive example to all. He is a great athlete and glorifies God in all that he does. Another favorite is my buddy Travis “Hapa” Browne, I nearly had a heart attack when he KO’d Struve at UFC 130. He’s a great person and fighter.

Who are your favorite Muay Thai fighters?

-My favorite Muay Thai fighters are Romie Adanza and Kevin Ross. Both fighters have raised the bar in their weight classes. It’s a privilege to see them fight every time they step in the ring.

What are some of the hurdles that you think Women in MMA need to overcome before Women's MMA will be considered a top level sport like Men's MMA is today?

-I have seen Women’s MMA grow so much in the past few years; I think that it is a top level sport whether it is for Men or Women. In my opinion, a major hurdle would be integrating WMMA into the UFC. This will eventually happen someday when there are enough female fighters to stack the weight divisions.

When do you think we will see women’s divisions in the UFC?

-Hopefully in the next few years, as this sport continues to grow.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-Every one that I have interviewed in this industry inspires me. Their passion for this sport is what fuels my passion to write about it. Also my Dad inspires my life everyday. He is my rock and I am who I am because of him and my family.

What is something most people don't know about you?

-My Job! A lot of people do not know what I do, and are shocked when they learn of it.

How do you enjoy your free time, any hobbies?

-I love dancing, painting, golfing, Muay Thai, writing, going to the beach and hanging out with friends.

What would you say is your best feature?

-My best feature is probably my blue eyes.

Any future plans or dreams?

-I have so many plans and dreams, but my biggest dream is to follow through with God’s plan that He has in mind for me. Because my plans are nothing compared to the plans that He has for me.

Any special shout outs?

-I want to thank God for all of the opportunities that He has given me at a young age. Thank you for all the interviews; whether it is right after you get out of the cage or at your gym, I so appreciate every interview. Thanks Babes of MMA for featuring me, I love what you are doing for the sport and appreciate your support. Thanks to my amazing family and friends for putting up with my crazy career choice! I love you all. And finally thanks to the readers and fans! Follow me on Twitter! @BreArmstrong

Thanks for your time Breanna and really look forward to meeting you in person one day soon. Until then keep up all the great work with your journalism and website!

No comments:

Post a Comment