Friday, July 29, 2011

Fighter Babe Sarah "TNT" McLeod Back in the Cage Tomorrow

We recently had the pleasure of speaking with up and coming MMA fighter Sarah “TNT” McLeod. Sarah is an amateur fighter fighting out of Omaha, Nebraska who will return to the cage tomorrow at Victory Fighting Championships in Council Bluffs, Iowa. In addition to being an MMA fighter this Vancouver native is also a bikini competitor and student. Check out what Sarah had to say in our interview below.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I was training in the weight room every day and I decided that MMA would be a great mental and physical challenge for me. I took my first MMA fight with 12 days’ notice and no training in any discipline. My training in 2010 consisted of weightlifting and cardio at my local weight room in Vancouver Canada. In January 2011, I moved to Omaha Nebraska to join my first MMA gym at Mid-America Martial Arts. This was my first time training in all disciplines and really getting my butt kicked!

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I train out of Mid-America Martial Arts in Omaha Nebraska. I also have a strength and conditioning Coach Bret Carter, from Endless Possibilities Training Systems. I train at Mid-America 3 nights out of the week, and I see Bret for 3 mornings each week. Unfortunately this is all that my school schedule is allowing me to train as I have 4-7 hours of school, 5 days/week. After summer semester I will return to training 5 days/week, both morning and night.

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you are fighting and where?

-I will be fighting Heather Lambert from New Hampshire in a 115lbs amateur bout on JULY 30. Heather has a record of 3-0 and I think she will be my toughest challenge yet. The fight is for Victory Fighting Championships at the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-I love growing as a fighter and every challenge that I face at training or in the ring pushes me to become a stronger person. The hardest part is finding time to manage school, training and fights. School is very important to me but I believe I was born to fight, so I find a way to make it happen.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-Set a goal and make it happen! Join a gym and learn to push yourself past any physical or mental barriers. MMA, to me, is all about becoming a stronger person, and testing your will against an opponent is an incredible challenge.

What are some of the hurdles that you think Women in MMA need to overcome before Women's MMA will be considered a top level sport like Men's MMA is today?

-I believe that we are getting more and more opportunities to showcase our talent, and it’s only a matter of time before we become more recognized in the sport.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My inspirations in both MMA and life are my coaches, my teammates, my friends and family. These people inspire me every day and their positive energy pushes me to excel in everything that I do.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-My favorite female fighters are Meisha Tate, Zoila Frausto, and Jessica Eye.

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting? Any hobbies?

-If I’m not training, I’m in school, or I’m studying. School keeps me very busy, and just like MMA, I enjoy the mental challenge that it provides me with. Call me a nerd, but it is what it is, and I love it!!

Are you single?

-Always.

What do you look for in a guy?

-A mullet.

What are your turn-ons?

-Mullets.

Any future plans or dreams?

-I take everything as it comes, and right now I am 100% focused on school and fighting. My dreams are endless, but in everything I do, I hope to set a positive example for everyone to use their potential and be the best person that they can be.

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-Thank-you to all of my coaches and teammates from Mid-America Martial Arts; my strength and conditioning coach, Bret Carter from Endless Possibilities Training Systems; Ryan Stoddard from Relentless Management; my friends and family, and everyone that gives me positive energy and encouragement.

Thank you for your time Sarah and we will be cheering you onto victory tomorrow. For more information on Sarah's fight tomorrow check out Victory Fighter and be sure to visit her Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah lost via armbar in the first round. Keep your head up Sarah and look forward to your next fight!

    ReplyDelete