Monday, June 23, 2014

Fighter Babe Kaytlin Neil Returns to the Cage this Saturday

Fighter babe Kaytlin “Katniss” Neil (2-0) returns to the cage this Saturday for Showdown Fights 10 at the UCCU Center in Orem, Utah. Fighting out of Orem, Utah we recently caught up with Kaytlin prior to her big fight this Saturday for the interview below to learn a little more about her.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-My friends dragged me to some local MMA fights, at the time I had no knowledge of what MMA was. I was pretty against them at first until there was one chick fight on the card that caught my interest and I thought it looked fun, so I started training. I have been training for about two and a half years.

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I am currently training at The Pit Elevated in Orem, Utah. A typical training week for me is like a nice little stroll through Hell, but a fun, enjoyable Hell where I actually want to go back to everyday.

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you're fighting and where?

-My next fight will be my most challenging fight yet. My opponent knocked out her first opponent and knocked down her second opponent with the first punch she threw, so she has a pretty strong right hand, but she hasn't fought me yet ;). My opponent is Veta Arteaga. It will be at Utah Valley University in Orem, Utah.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-My best experience as a fighter was my first MMA fight. As you can imagine, it was pretty nerve-wracking getting into the cage for the first time. I was happy with the outcome.

-My worst experience with MMA was a Jits tournament that I did down in Vegas. I did a nice Judo throw and somehow my opponent got the points for my throw and the whole thing was just a mess.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-Do it. I started without knowing a single thing. I had no idea what a jab, cross, hook, side-control, mount or anything even relatively basic was. When people ask me what my background is and I tell them cheerleading, which I did for 6 years previous to MMA, they are quite surprised.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My inspiration in MMA is my teammate DeAnna Bennett. She is one of only two girls to have beaten Julianna Pena (the winner of the first girl’s season of the ultimate fighter). I'm training with her daily and I'm lucky to have a partner who is that experienced to work with and gauge myself with.

-I just inspire to live life having as much fun as possible, and to leave a positive stamp on everyone I meet. My favorite quote is, "I would rather die standing than live life on my knees."

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-Chad Mendes and Chael Sonnen.

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting?

-I like hanging out with friends, shopping, going to movies, swimming, going on vacations, etc. I'm also a student at Utah Valley University which takes up a lot of my free time, but school isn't that enjoyable ;)

For those who will inquire we have a couple questions for the male readership as well.

Are you single?

-I sure am.

What do you look for in a guy?

-What I look for in a guy is one who will respect me, motivate me to be the best I can be and who is preferably taller than me, really good looking, extremely funny and a six pack. I don't think it's too much to ask for, and that probably explains why I am still single.

What are your turn-ons?

-My turn-ons are if they have a love for working out and it shows on their body. I'm definitely an abs girl and definitely a sense of humor.

What are your turnoffs?

-My turnoffs are when they are rude or disrespectful.

What would you say is your best feature?

-My "personality" :) ...or my butt.

Lastly before we let you go we would love to hear about your future plans and let you send some shout outs.

Any future plans or dreams?

-I would like to turn pro within the next year or two and hopefully make it into a well known promotion. In all reality I just want to make it to be famous enough to get on the Ellen Show and Dancing with the Stars.

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-I would like to thank my mom, my family, the Harper family and my friends for always being there for me. My coaches Arnold Anderton, Jason Mertlich, Brock Jardine and everyone else from The Pit for pushing me every day and not only making me a better fighter but a better person. I would also like to thank my sponsors Warrior Fuel (an awesome pre-workout supplement), Ideal Shape and Endevr.

Thank you very much for your time Kaytlin and good luck on fight night! Click here to purchase tickets to Kaytlin’s fight and send her some shout outs on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

1 comment: