Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fighter Babe Erin McDougall’s MMA Debut Tomorrow

Our friend Erin McDougall will be making her MMA debut tomorrow at Prestige FC III in Fort McMurray, AB, Canada. Click here to read our first interview with Erin and continue reading below for more on her upcoming fight and fight career.

How did you get involved in MMA and how long have you been training?

-I got involved in MMA thanks to Kickboxing, which I started for fun/fitness. I’ve been training the MMA game (for competition) for about a year now.

Where are you currently training, and what's a typical training week like for you?

-I train out of CMC in Lethbridge AB, as well as Tactixs Gym in Vancouver BC. I travel a lot, and these are my two ‘homes’. A week in the life of McDooogs (as far as training goes) is twice a day Monday to Thursday, and once on Friday and Saturday. Sunday I rest! :)

Tell us about your upcoming fight, who you’re fighting and where?

-I’m fighting Tara Letendre in Fort McMurray AB and I’m frigging pumpppppped! :) A lot of hard work has gone into preparing for this, so I am looking forward to having some fun on Friday night.

What is your best experience as a fighter? What is your worst?

-I’m still pretty new as a “fighter”… Best experience was winning my Kickboxing debut. Worst experience… I’m not sure there has been anything awful. I mean, don’t get me wrong… training is hard. But I haven’t experienced a “fuck you” moment, where I’m mad or frustrated at the sport. I’ve been fortunate. Attitude is everything.

What advice would you give to other women who are reading this interview and want to get started in MMA?

-Don’t give up; remember that the training is the hard part. Fighting is what fun is. And for peats sake, BE there for each other! Women have a tendency to be threatened by other women climbing the same mountains as them. Don’t be. Just help each other. There is enough room in this sport for all of us to be successful and happy.

What are some of the hurdles that you think Women in MMA need to overcome before Women's MMA will be considered a top level sport like Men's MMA is today?

-It’s a time thing, in my opinion. We just need to give it time. Everyone wants to see great WMMA fights, but the truth is a lot of girls are still learning. If we can wait it out, a few years from now WMMA is gonna be banging.

When do you think we will see a women’s division in the UFC?

-To be honest, I don’t think it’s going to happen. And if it does happen, it won’t be with in the next few years.

What or who are your inspirations in MMA and life?

-My best friend Deirdre inspires me; she is the definition of a true fighter (6 rounds of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation under her belt; she is not gonna be beat!) My teammates also inspire me. They are so tough and so talented, yet they have no egos. I love them boys. I wouldn’t be where I am with out them.

Who are your favorite MMA fighters?

-It’s hard for me to name favorites. There are a lot of great guys and gals out there! I know I will always love Gina Carano, regardless of if she fights again. I love how she portrays herself… such class. And Randy Couture is a legend I will love forever as well.

How do you enjoy your free time when not training or fighting?

-I’m pretty boring to be honest. I read books and write for my blogs. I practice yoga. I travel a lot, so I’m always planning out my next adventure. Basically, I’m a homebody… just really low key most of the time.

Any future plans or dreams?

-I have this clothing brand that I really want to launch, but the timing hasn’t been right, and I have yet to get all my ducks in a row. Hopefully soon.

Are you single?

-I am a claimed woman. Sorry boys! ;)

What do you look for in a guy?

-Confidence and self-awareness. I need a guy who is open for self growth, someone who is up for adventure and travel. It’s a great big world out there, and I want to see it! So, I need someone who is into traveling and adventure.

What are your turn-ons?

-If you can get me laughing, you have my attention.

What are your turnoffs?

-Guys who are insecure or have too much self-pity.

What would you say is your best feature?

-My best feature is my positive attitude and my happy energy! It never goes out of style, and thankfully, only gets better with age. :)

Any shout outs you would like to make?

-My sponsors TapouT Canada and Ink Addiction, who are amazing!! As well, all my boys who train with me on a daily basis and of course all my girlfriends who keep me balanced. GROUP HUG!! :)

Thank you very much for your time Erin and good luck tomorrow! Be sure to say hello to Erin on Facebook and on Twitter @iMcDooogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment